L.P. (Like paul)
The world is crying out, looking for something or someone “different”. Among an industry, filled with anger, rage, self-degradation, and misplaced priorities, stands a man that desires to give hope, create change, and present something “different” to the people. With a little more than 10 years of experience in doing music and working with youth and young adults, the Birmingham, AL based artist, LP (Like Paul), stands to make change and present something different by presenting positive image and creative music, that not only relates to youth and young adults, but promotes inspiration and encouragement.
Born on the Mississippi Gulf coast, LP spent his childhood and adolescent years there and in nearby New Orleans, LA. Much of his musical influence came from local New Orleans artists and groups, such as Mystikal and Partners ‘N Crime (Big Boy Records), UNLV and The Hot Boys (Cash Money Records), Master P (No Limit Records) and many others. Drug and alcohol abuse was the norm with LP, but because of the negative effects of a fatherless environment and later the death of his mother, a downward spiral and extreme negative behavior increased. With the help of extended family, coaches, and teachers, LP was able to make the most out of his athletic ability and earn an athletic scholarship to MILES COLLEGE in Birmingham, AL.
At MILES COLLEGE, LP was a communications major, obtaining the skills of public speaking, filming, editing, marketing, promotions, and effective communication, not knowing that these skills acquired would be utilized in the future, as they are a decade later. During this time at MILES COLLEGE, two students would change his life forever. One student presented the gospel of Jesus Christ to him and he accepted Christ into his life. LP began to search the Word of God for direction in his personal life. The other student was a roommate that was a rapper from NYC that influenced LP in many ways, including his ability to use the art form of rap as a platform. As an athlete and a participant of many extracurricular activities on MILES COLLEGE campus, LP was able to impact the lives a many students on the campus.
Being inspired by God, LP began to write lyrics and memorize them, just for the sake of communicating the gospel in such a way that young people could relate to and receive it. He used his lyrical ability to captivate people wherever he went. His very first public performance was at a talent show on the Miles College campus, where he placed 2nd. While working in a local barbershop, LP frequently practiced his gift. This intrigued most patrons of the barber shop which caused a buzz, and led to an opportunity to record with a local producer. That opportunity resulted in a full length album, live performances at talent shows, events, churches, and later a record deal with a label in Inglewood, CA.
Over the years, LP has been able to mature, grow, and increase in knowledge and wisdom. “Nearly 10 years of marriage and two children have made a man out of me, through this process, as an artist and a young minister”, says the 32 year old artist. His lists of accomplishments are as follows:
- (2012) Strick City Summer Tour
- (2012) ”I AM…” Tour
- (2012) Released first independent album “I AM…”
- (2012) Recognized as "Business of the Month" by the Birmingham African American Chamber of Commerce
- (2012) Performed and acted in Marc Raby’s stage play “These Three Words”
- (2012) Recognized and Awarded the Official Seal for the City Of Birmingham, by Mayor William Bell, SR for Outstanding Community Service.
- (2012) Recognized and awarded the "Chief Douglas J. Williams Award" for excellence in Community Service in Bay St. Louis, MS (Gulf Coast)
- (2012) Recognized and awarded for valuable contributions to Green Acres Middle School in Birmingham, AL.
- (2011) Recognized and awarded the "Holy Helping Hands Award", by the Just Be REEL Foundation, in Birmingham, AL
- (2011) Appearance in the stage play "When the Devil Creeps In"
- (2010) Co-Host of the Stellar Awards “Gospel Spotlight” with Lexi of the Word Network
- (2010) Co-Host of Music Video Show "The Breakthrough"
- (2009) EnFuego Tour with rock groups "After Edmund" and "Thalon"
- (2009) Released the EP, "Move Real Smooth" (Birmingham Records)
- (2008) Recognized and awarded the "Who's Who Award" by the Birmingham Department of Youth Services.
- (2008) Recognized and awarded the H.I.P. H.O.P. Harvest Ministries "Golgotha Award" for "Outstanding Service and Dedication to the Body of Christ.
- (2008) Recognized and awarded the Alabama Gospel Hip Hop Awards "Best Video Award", for the video "We Can't Lose"
- (2008) BAMA Awards nominee for "Best Hip Hop/Rap Artist" (Birmingham Area Music Awards) presented by The Birmingham Weekly publication.
- (2008) presented an award to the Clark Sisters, alongside Tichina Arnold (Everybody Hates Chris), Canton Jones, and Ami Rushes, at the 23rd Annual Stellar Awards.
- (2008) Stellar Award Nominee for "Best Video of the Year" for video "We Can't Lose"
- (2008) Featured as Front Cover Story in Opulence Magazine
- (2007) Featured in Billboard Magazine
- (2007) Performed Live on BET's Bobby Jones Gospel Show
- (2007) Strick City Summer Tour
- (2007) Awarded and recognized for exceptional contributions to the students of C. W. Hayes high School, by Ms. Menyorn Beachem of C. W. Hayes High School (First Priority Club)
- (2007) Released the album "Testimony" (Birmingham Records)
- (2006) Awarded the Birmingham "Dirty 30 Award", for best Gospel Artist.
- (2006) Featured in "Birmingham Christian Magazine"
- (2004) Released first album (underground) "Romans 1:16" ( Hedbaub Ent.)
- (2003) Recorded first song "Fa Da Hood" (Hedbaub Ent)
Date • City/State • Venue • Time • Contact
05/17/14 • Decatur, AL • SoulStock-http://www.soulstock.com/ • 4:00 PM • 256.777.4882
07/04/14 • Tylertown, MS • Holmes Water Park • 5:00 PM • 601.876.3436
07/06/14 • St. Simons Island, GA • Epworth By The Sea • 7:00 PM • 912.264.3474
07/13/14 • Birmingham, AL • Railroad Park • 3:00 PM •
08/01/14 • Birmingham, AL • Kelly Ingram Park • TBD • 205.328.1850
08/01/14 • Huntsville, AL • St. John AMEC • 7:00 PM • 256.534.3265
08/02/14 • Bay St. Louis, MS • Powerhouse Of Deliverence Ministries • 8:00 AM • 228.466.3841
08/03/14 • Bay St. Louis, MS • Powerhouse Of Deliverence Ministries • 9:30 AM • 228.466.3841
08/09/14 • Castleberry, AL • Vine & Branches Church • 4:00 PM • 251.593.3881
08/23/14 • Verbena, AL • En Fuego Festival • www.enfuegoinfo.com
09/14/14 • Birmingham, AL • Linn Park • 3:00 PM • 205.254.2823